Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The World is Flat Chapters 1 & 2

The first word that comes to mind is.... WOW! I never knew some of the things that were mentioned in this book. I have been looking into accounting and marketing careers thinking that I could just hide behind a desk and not deal with many people face to face, and instead I will have to compete with people in other countries where there are more graduates per year and where they are paid less for the same work. Pretty overwhelming! I have been so naive; I was thinking I would only have to compete with people in this region, not the whole world!

The author has stressed that everyone is finally on a level playing field (meaning the world is flat). It doesn't matter how big or small a business is or where they are located, the work can be done by someone across the globe. It kind of reminds me of Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest"...

I had always thought that companies had night shifts to do the work that the day shifts did not do, not realizing that they are probably outsourcing the work to India or China.

My husband always tells me "don't believe everything you read"...so I had to do my own research. I found that all of the examples the author gave are accurate and found a lot of good information that is not on the news or on the front page of the paper. Here are some of the articles that I found:

Some US farms outsourced to Mexico - Yahoo News
Are colleges preparing graduates for evolving job market - AJC
Life outsourced - CNN

After reading these chapters, I would have to say that the phrase/quote that sums it up the best is, "You are always taking an examination. There is no end to learning...There is no real end to what can be done by whom".

2 comments:

KJ said...

Great post - I was especially impressed by the links you added. I'm glad to see you taking the reading to heart. - K. Jones

Stephanie McKleroy said...

Hi Michelle,
I was just as surprised as you when I found out about all of the outsourcing that America is excessively taking advantage of. It’s a little scary at the thought of my replacement being someone 1000 miles away. I wonder how in the world I will ever be able to compete especially since $500 per month is a decent salary in India. $500 a month in America won’t even afford me the luxury of a 1 bedroom apartment with a decent car to drive. I am just like you, when feeling the need to verify what I read and not believing everything I hear. I also took the liberty of doing a little research and found many articles just as yours. After finding such information, it has made my readings of our book much more personal as I could easily be one of those Executive Assistant‘s that was replaced by someone in India. I don’t totally disagree with outsourcing but I do think that it should not be the first thing that American companies look at when trying to cut their cost. I think homesourcing is a grand idea and should be investigated just as much as outsourcing has been.